Pages

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Pork belly and stats

Another week, another check-in!

After a week with two (yes, you read that correctly TWO) social engagements, things had the potential to go off the rails.

On Saturday, we had friends over for dinner, which was lovely. Because I managed to clean my house. Maybe we should have friends over more often. I had a healthy breakfast, some fruit for lunch in preparedness for the PORK BELLY. OMG I love pork belly. And wine. I love that too.


And then on Tuesday night I had to go to work thingy where they had copious amounts of Salt and Pepper Calamari and it was DIVINE I tell you! So good.

My work colleague's mum sent her a billion cupcakes for her birthday (you know the ones with a foot of icing on the top?) on Friday. I had one, but didn't really enjoy it. Managed happily to say "no thanks" to the others. Obviously fat is my thing, not sugar.

Exercise-wise, I haven't don't that well. Got up at 8am on Monday on my day off and went for my walk. Wednesday and Friday (and all the other days)? Not so much. I'm just sooooo tired! But I know that exercise will help my energy levels.

I also scare the shit out of myself in the mornings!

Other good reasons to exercise (she reminds herself more than the readership) - half an hour a day (a day!) of moderate exercise significantly lowers blood pressure. I've told you mine is high before? Well, it is. I'm medication for it - just swapped over to a new one. Whilst in between swapping, we monitored it - it got to 153/101 and a pulse of 95. So at the moment, I need my meds and I need that exercise!

Exercise is also really good for keeping diabetes at bay. With swapping over this medication, I had "baseline" blood tests done. All within normal range (including cholesterol etc), except that pesky fasting blood glucose level, which was at 6.0 mmol/L. According to current guidelines, this may indicate pre-diabetes (risk increased if you are obese - oh my gosh I am! and have high blood pressure - well shit).

My doctor didn't want any further testing done, but Dr Google says lose weight and exercise and you can get back in the normal range and not progress to full-blown diabetes. 

And I also watched this episode of Catalyst on gut bacteria during the week. Fascinating stuff. Go watch it if you haven't. Latest research indicates a diet high in fibre (back off on the processed foods and high fat/sugar content) significantly impacts the types of bacteria found in your gut and therefore impacts huge amounts of health, insulin response being one of them. So that is extra incentive to stay on the straight and narrow, as I am prone to a bit of blockage (TMI? Soz). Be thankful I have no pics of this. Can't wait for Part 2.

Healthy salmon and gai lan instead!

I got to weighing myself on Thursday morning - 83.3kg. So a slight gain, but I have weighed myself since and I'm target to another loss. I'm determined this will be a long-term thing, not just a 12 week blitz, so real life and exercise and pork belly are all part of that!

How was your week?
Best meal you ate?
Do you know your blood pressure? Blood glucose?


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the video link. I've been preaching the merits of fiber for years to a deaf family. And Dr. Mercola's daily newsletter has been very informative about gut bacteria. It's amazing information! I've been making kombucha for a couple of months and have experimented with fruit kvass. I've recently found a homemade sauerkraut recipe and kimchi recipe to foist on the family...they just don't know it yet. Anyway, there appears to be a lot of truth to the diet - gut bacteria - health connection. Hopefully it makes a difference to you in your road to better health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still going okay here, I'm doing the no junk food August challenge too which has tied in nicely with this round of 12wbt. So there's been no pastry or junk food or fast food or choc, lollies or cake. And we're both doing it! As for the best meal I ate, has to be 'I can't believe it's not butter chicken'. I swear I could eat that till the cows come home. And I actually had to as I had made double quantity and was running out of room in the freezer! bwahahahaha

    ReplyDelete