Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Post-race funk

I have to admit to being in a bit of a running funk since last week's big race. And I guess if you focus on the negatives, last week wasn't so great:

  • I finished 11,071th out of 14,318 starters
  • I finished 1,178th out of 1,632 females aged 40-49
  • I walked in places
  • I look fat and slow in the finishing video (that's me in the purple top, black capris, black hat with iPhone armband in the middle - the tall guy in the striped shirt cuts right in front of me). I look exhausted.

And my runs this week have been less than stellar. My 10 year old daughter came with me (as did my hubby and son) and she runs faster than her mum.

I feel like a fraud. I keep reading post C25K blogs/Facebook pages, and everyone seems to be running half marathons 6 months after finishing. Or at least putting in more km's than me.

My left hip flexors are sore. 

I don't feel like giving up, but I do feel deflated.

But then, I have to look at the bright side:
  • Four months ago I could barely run 1 minute
  • I have lost (if the scales are correct this morning) 7kg so far (just imagine how much faster/further I could run if I lost another 10kg!)
  • I ran in a 9km race which a few weeks ago I didn't think I could (and it was bloody hot)
  • I'm off the couch!

So, I'm going to take it easy on myself and my hips - a bit more stationary biking and swimming, hip flexor stretching and strengthening. And keep on putting one foot in front of the other - because on a good day, nothing feels like running does!

2 comments:

  1. You are doing fabulously. Wow, that is over 15 pounds! I think you've made wonderful progress in a short period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane! Did you spot me on the video (not that you know what I look like!!)?

    My scales are dodgy I think, now it's more like 4kg - a bit more realistic.

    And yes, in my better moments, I'm still happy with what I've achieved. Wait till next year!

    ReplyDelete