Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Hip, hip hooray...not

It's official. I'm injured.

I went to the physio on Monday as the pain in my hip flexors was not really getting any better. And sure enough, I have torn hip flexor muscles. Recommendations? Stretching (every day - so a bit more to do there), exercise bike/swimming when pain dies down (which will be soon, apparently), visit to the podiatrist to make sure I'm wearing the right shoes/orthotics as I pronate (who knew?), no running for....six to eight weeks.

WTF??? That long? Sigh. It's an "overuse" injury, which I find quite hysterical, given my mileage barely makes it to 15km a week!

In a strange twist of fate, my free Runner's World free running socks and training diary were waiting for me in the letterbox when I got home from the physio - just to tease me.


I am undeterred!! I have 3 weeks until I go on holidays (cruise to New Zealand). OK, so I won't be running around the Promenade Deck like I imagined, but dang it - I'll be in the gym on the exercise bike. Will my foam roller fit in my bag? Two weeks of cruising (and biking and swimming), then only 1-3 weeks after that I should be able to run. If I actually do keep my fitness up, maybe I won't have to start all the way back at Week 1 of Couch to 5K!!

Anyway, the physio did some ultrasound treatment and massaged my butt so hard I have the bruises to prove it! I have been using the aforementioned foam roller everyday and doing the stretches from the Hip Flexor Solutions book.  Today I got on the exercise bike - 5 minutes warm-up, 20 minutes of UNSW's 8/12 second intervals, 5 minutes cool-down - a total of 30 minutes, 17.75km, 607 calories. Not bad and I'm just as sweaty and unimpressed looking as when I run:




1 comment:

  1. Ouch!
    I feel your pain (literally). I was having hip issues earlier this month. Lots of rest, foam-rolling, stretching, and ice seem to be working.

    Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery!!!

    ReplyDelete