Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

I'm so ashamed...

Today I was rifling through my large assemblage of running magazines, Million Kilo Challenge recipes, physio exercises etc and came across my old Fit For the Job Challenge folder (mmm, now defunct - no link available). I did this a few years ago now when I was working at the local high school. A bunch of us teachers got together for a 12 week challenge to lose weight, reduce stress etc (sounding familiar?). We got a 12 week exercise program and DVD, healthy eating plan and weigh-in's at the local gym. I do remember that I managed to get down to 66kg and feeling very proud of myself.

But at the start, I remember feeling like I did yesterday - it's time to make a change before this weight gain gets out of hand, my clothes are fitting anymore etc etc.

I found the slip of paper for my first weigh-in.


Weight: 69.8kgs (153.6 lbs). OMG. That's 10kg lighter than my current starting point.

I'm so ashamed that I thought that I was heavy and I've let myself (after bootcamping, and two lots of C25K and a 9km fun run and multiple "programs") get to 79.8kg. No wonder my size 14 clothes are tight. It's not that the sizing is getting smaller. It really is because I've stacked on the kilos. I'm going to my 25 year school reunion in a couple of weeks the heaviest I've ever been. Hello! Reality check! 

So I went out for my run/walk this morning feeling very large, very ashamed of myself. I felt like saying "I can do this running thing, you know, I'm just starting again and these clothes used to fit me 12 months ago". 


And that's the thing, isn't it? You just have to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start bloody again. And keep going. And going. It's not easy (well, I obviously don't find it easy).

On the bright side? There were a lot of overweight people out there this morning, walking the walk, putting one foot in front of the other. They were beetroot faced and sweaty too. They looked admiringly (or was that sympathetically?) at me running. I did get out of bed this morning and do it, unlike last week. I keep putting one foot in front of the other. 





4 comments:

  1. Yay! You're back! You made such wonderful progress before, I've no doubt you can pick up and do it again.

    I'm trying to decide whether or not I have the kahunas to run through the winter. I balk at the price of winter gear but even with 3 pair of (cheap) gloves on, my fingers are suffering. And I'm not a fan of the dark mornings. You may inspire me to keep moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm back! I needed a program or something to follow. I pretty much missed winter here, which is a bummer because it's nice running weather. It's getting warm here - I'll have to get up really early to beat the heat soon.

      Have you got a treadmill? Probably cheaper to buy good gloves though...

      Delete
  2. Well done for getting out there and running. I am hoping that it becomes easier once I have a solid routine established.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica - and yes, it does get easier. Not easier to get out of bed (that is never easy), but easier to actually run. When I'm on task, I try to get out 3-4 times a week and now I'm trying to walk or swim or use our rowing machine on my non-running days.

      Delete